Re: Anniversary hack: Zile editor with Guile support

From: Ian Price
Subject: Re: Anniversary hack: Zile editor with Guile support
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 04:10:01 +0000

"Gary V. Vaughan" <address@hidden> writes:

>>> The first, I can do, though it's a long time since I paid attention to
>>> Guile,
>>> so I'd need guidance and/or test-cases from someone familiar with it to make
>>> sure my implementation would be compatible with canonical Guile Scheme.
>>
>> Rather than going for Scheme integration, it'd be better to target
>> tree-il, which is the level below it.
>
> But surely, the point of having an Emacs that can be extended with Guile
> Scheme,
> is that the user can feed Guile Scheme code to it?  (1) above proposes
> compiling
> the users Scheme to Lua bytecodes for sandboxed evaluation by Lua Zile.

Of course we'd prefer Scheme, but I don't think that has to mean writing
a new Guile-compatible Scheme implementation, and implementing Tree-IL
doesn't preclude it.

Guile is made up of several layers: Scheme/Tree-IL/GLIL/Assembly/etc.
and we expose these through various modules. If you want to write a
compiler for Scheme (in this case to Lua bytecode), we have the
infrastructure available and documented for you.

I suggest Tree-IL since that is the compilation target we recommend for
new languages (both elisp and ecmascript compile to this), but if it is
convenient for Lua bytecode, pick an even lower level one.

--
Ian Price -- shift-reset.com

"Programming is like pinball. The reward for doing it well is
the opportunity to do it again" - from "The Wizardy Compiled"