Re: SLAYER announcement and help request for preparing a GNU package

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: SLAYER announcement and help request for preparing a GNU package
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 07:15:54 +0200

It sounds like an interesting project.

The subject line of your post says it is a "GNU Package", but I don't see
slayer in
the official list.  Perhaps you mean it is one that you want to submit to
GNU in the hope that they will adopt it as a package? Or did you mean something
else? Obviously how to it should be laid out will depend on that a lot.

Like you say, lack of documentation is will be a big factor in getting users.
How will people know how to use it, and perhaps more importantly WHY the should
use it?

Autotools can indeed be tricky - and a time consuming part of maintaining a
package - but they do make it a hell of a lot easier for the general public
to build, especially on wierd systems.

Lack of features is a concern - but if you have a dedicated user base, even a
small
one, you will get requests for them.  However, if you don't have decent
documentation,
and a reliable and portable build system, then you won't have any users ....

J'