Re: SLAYER announcement and help request for preparing a GNU package

From: Javier Sancho
Subject: Re: SLAYER announcement and help request for preparing a GNU package
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 09:23:10 +0200

Panicz Maciej Godek wrote:
> I even managed to build it, but for some reasons the demos won't run. I get
> the following error:
> gacela/video.scm:175:2: In procedure init-gl:
> gacela/video.scm:175:2: In procedure module-lookup: Unbound variable:
> set-gl-hint

The reason is, oh my god, you are the first who test my code.

When I started this project, I made demos and some documentation, but
I stopped maintaining them because nobody was interested. Makefiles
compile OpenGL and SDL bindings, but now I use Figl and compilation is
not needed. The error with set-gl-hint comes because I have a figl
version with some improvements. I've sent patches to figl maintainers.

Currently, Gacela is in a very unstable state. Demos, for example, use
an old version with a more OOP style, because when I wrote them I was
beginning to understand Lisp and functional programming. But actually
I'm reestructuring all the code looking for a more elegant, beatiful,
functional style.

> If it comes to code, I see that you have a more polling-style approach for
> processing input. My desire is to get a system that never stops being
> reconfigurable -- to truly separate the user interface from program logics.
> I don't know if it's achievable, but I have a feeling that such direction is
> worth exploring

Yes, your style is more callback style. I personally prefer polling
because then I can read the code sequentially. But it's a personal
consideration.

> All these concepts sound very interesting, but I'm curious whether they are
> reflected the code somewhere.

For the moment, no. But I have a lot of papers :-)

Cheers.

--
Javier Sancho Fernández - http://www.jsancho.org/
Associate Member of the Free Software Foundation - http://www.fsf.org/