Why launch the Guile signal delivery thread on exit? (was Re: guile 2.0.

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Why launch the Guile signal delivery thread on exit? (was Re: guile 2.0.9 build on mingw)
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 17:51:38 -0400

Hi Julian,

Could you help us understand some code you added to Guile in 2007?

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> Why isn't the signal delivery thread launched at program start

The signal delivery thread is not launched until the first signal
handler is installed.  This would seem sensible if not for the fact that
it is always launched at exit, which I found surprising.

> and why is it launched at exit?

Good question.  This behavior was apparently introduced in this commit:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=guile.git;a=commitdiff;h=2e77f7202b11ad0003831fcff94ec7db80cca015

It appears that Julian Graham may have been the author of these changes.
I've CC'd him, hoping that he can shed some light on this.

> +  /* Ensure the signal handling thread has been launched, because we might be
> +     shutting it down.  */
> +  scm_i_ensure_signal_delivery_thread ();

Julian, can you remember why you did this?  I don't understand the
comment above.  What does "it" refer to?  I would that guess that "it"
is the signal handling thread, but how could we be shutting down that
thread if it hadn't yet been launched?

    Regards,
      Mark