Re: Why launch the Guile signal delivery thread on exit? (was Re: guile

From: Julian Graham
Subject: Re: Why launch the Guile signal delivery thread on exit? (was Re: guile 2.0.9 build on mingw)
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 12:06:41 -0400

Hi Mark and Eli,

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 5:51 PM, Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> wrote:
> Could you help us understand some code you added to Guile in 2007?

Wow, that was a long time ago! :)

> Julian, can you remember why you did this?  I don't understand the
> comment above.  What does "it" refer to?  I would that guess that "it"
> is the signal handling thread, but how could we be shutting down that
> thread if it hadn't yet been launched?

My memories a bit foggy (and I won't be able to take a deep dive into
the code until I get home from work), but my recollection is that
there was something slightly dangerous about calling
`scm_i_close_signal_pipe' if the signal handling thread hadn't been
launched, since if it launched during shutdown it would hang. (See my
comments in `scm_i_close_signal_pipe' to that effect.) So I think I
opted to start it explicitly to avoid this possibility. Admittedly
it's not terribly elegant.

Does that help?

Regards,
Julian