Re: Unix Domain Sockets and (write) (read)

From: Alex Sassmannshausen
Subject: Re: Unix Domain Sockets and (write) (read)
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2013 00:05:43 +0200

Hello again,

Aleix Conchillo Flaqué <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 3:31 PM, Alex Sassmannshausen
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> My question is simply: is this supposed to happen? Would I somehow need
>> to close and re-open the socket to have a two-way conversation between
>> the client and the server (e.g. client writes request, closes the socket,
>> server reads from socket, evaluates, client re-connects, server provides
>> response)?
>>

> I think that the answer is yes. It is supposed to happen with the code
> you provided.
>
> When the server calls (write) you should flush the port (force-output)
> so data gets immediately sent to the client, if that's what you want.

Ah, so that is the missing piece in the puzzle. Thanks for your
response.

> For the two-way conversation, you simply need to keep on calling
> (read) and (write) wherever you want in the server and/or client and
> not close the socket until you are really done.

In the meantime I've also figured out that read-line and write-line
allows me to have this 2-way conversation…

I'm thinking of writing a summary of my attempts as a novice in socket
communications with an example of Unix domain sockets in action. Do
people think that something like that might also be a useful addition to
the network chapter in Guile's manual? Or is the Examples section kept
quite brief on purpose?

Best wishes,

Alex