Sabotage against guile users?

From: Roland Orre
Subject: Sabotage against guile users?
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 15:11:33 +0200

I now intended to start using guile again. I used guile daily for my R&D from 1995 to 2008. The last guile I built for was guile-1.8.5

However, my old module build does no longer work with guile-1.8.8
(the latest stable downloaded from savannah.gnu.org)

Previously the guile dist contained an example directory (the box)
now essential files from these directories are missing. The previous
guile-1.8.5/examples/box-dynamic-module
contained these files:
box.c          box-module.scm  Makefile     Makefile.in
box-mixed.scm  check.test      Makefile.am  README

However, when checking
guile-1.8.5/examples/box-dynamic-module
in now only contains
box.c  box-mixed.scm  box-module.scm  README
where the README file says:

* Overview
This directory includes an example program for extending Guile with a
new (and even useful) data type, putting it into a shared library, so it
can be called from an unmodified guile interpreter. Further, the shared
library defines a new guile module.
* Build Instructions
To build the example, simply type
  make libbox-module
in this directory.

which is obviously not doable as there i s no make file.
The manual says nothing about compiling modules.

How am I supposed to get things working, when the necessary
example files are missing and/or misleading?