Re: Unix Domain Sockets and (write) (read)

From: Alex Sassmannshausen
Subject: Re: Unix Domain Sockets and (write) (read)
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 19:17:26 +0200

Hello,

> Hi,
>
> Alex Sassmannshausen <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> I'm thinking of writing a summary of my attempts as a novice in socket
>> communications with an example of Unix domain sockets in action. Do
>> people think that something like that might also be a useful addition to
>> the network chapter in Guile's manual? Or is the Examples section kept
>> quite brief on purpose?
>
> It’s always useful to have more introductory material.
>
> My (biased) viewpoint is that the “Network Socket Examples” section has
> the important thing because after all, changing these examples to use
> Unix-domain sockets instead of TCP should be a simple exercise for the
> reader.  ;-)

I agree on this bit — I found it a useful exercise myself.

> What would you add to that section?

Maybe it's not quite this section, but in the section relating to
read/write scheme objects (6.17 Reading and Evaluating Scheme Code), if
the solution to my original problem is indeed resolved by Aleix's
suggestions to use (force-output) on the socket to enable two way
communication.

Maybe a sub-section in that chapter containing examples of read/write,
in a similar fashion to the examples in the sockets chapter?

> The glibc manual has additional examples to datagram sockets, among
> other things.  Perhaps that should be an inspiration?

I will have a look at that manual and see what I can come up with — in
time :-)

Best wishes,

Alex