Re: Problem with wide characters on upgrading to guile 2.x

From: Panicz Maciej Godek
Subject: Re: Problem with wide characters on upgrading to guile 2.x
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 14:50:15 +0200

2013/8/22 Richard Shann <address@hidden>
GNU/Denemo has a number of guile scripts in which wide characters are
embedded in strings. These used to work in guile 1.8 but with guile 2.0
I am seeing the following error message trying to use a string with "
"
in it (if that string will get through the email software)

; the throw arguments are

(scm_to_stringn cannot convert wide string to output locale 84 #f #f)

what is "locale 84" and how can I return to the desired behavior?

I don't know much about the internal details, but did you try
to set the locale of the environment to e.g. C.UTF-8 like that

 $ LC_ALL="C.UTF-8" guile # or your particular script

(the list of possible values can be obtained by typing "locale -a"
on modern unix systems)