Re: guile-2.0 on mingw: the sequel

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: guile-2.0 on mingw: the sequel
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 20:59:03 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> skribis:

>> From: Mark H Weaver <address@hidden>
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,  "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
>> Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 11:13:19 -0400
>>
>> Of course, ideally we would allow the entire Guile install to be freely
>> relocatable, as Windows users have come to expect.  This would require
>> some help from a Windows developer.
>
> Why should this feature be limited to Windows builds of Guile?  Why
> not make it work for Posix platforms as well?  Some other projects
> already do, they use argv[0] and PATH search to find the place where
> the executable is installed, and record relative file names from
> there.

This is not completely reliable when using argv[0] because argv[0] can
be anything, though this can be work around on Linux-based systems with
/proc/self/exe as done in
<http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/patches/guile-relocatable.patch>.

Here’s a proposal: add a --enable-relocatable configure option, have it
default to yes on MinGW and Cygwin (assuming there’s a method that works
reliably on these), and default to no elsewhere; alternately, have it
default to no everywhere.

WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.