Re: Syntax-rules generate symbol

From: Ian Price
Subject: Re: Syntax-rules generate symbol
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 11:38:38 +0100

Panicz Maciej Godek <address@hidden> writes:

> I assume that the main reason for using this is efficiency (rather
> than simplicity), because allegedly guile's continuations are rather
> inefficient.
Primarily, it's an efficiency hack, but you can also make a case that it
better if you can tell at a glance that the continuation will never be
stored, similar to how we have conventions for predicates and so forth.

> On one hand, it's good to know that (and would be even better
> to be able to find it out by skimming section 6.13 of the manual),
It is documented in section 13.5.1.

> but on the other it would be nicer if the compiler could trace the
> usages of continuations and figure out whether a given one is
> ever being re-entered, and optimize accordingly.
Well, it can sometimes, but it's a hard analysis in general.

--
Ian Price -- shift-reset.com

"Programming is like pinball. The reward for doing it well is
the opportunity to do it again" - from "The Wizardy Compiled"