Re: pretty-print for 1+

From: Taylan Ulrich B.
Subject: Re: pretty-print for 1+
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 20:57:34 +0200

Chaos Eternal <address@hidden> writes:

> In guile-scsh, user would like the guile recognize -i as symbols
> rather than complex numbers, is there any way?

I doubt that there is a way.  Arguably, one should use a different
mechanism to represent command-line switches.  Keyword symbols would
probably be suitable for this, and if #:foo is too verbose, one can
(read-set! keywords 'prefix) and use :foo instead.  I don't know if it
would require a substantial change to Scsh, and even if not, it would
certainly be an unportable extension.  Also, arguably, the usage of
stand-alone keyword symbols as arguments to a function (as opposed to
using them to mark keyword arguments) is an abuse of their first-class
nature in Guile, which might be subject to change in the future.