Re: Quietening Guile compilation output

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Quietening Guile compilation output
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 14:51:53 +0200

Peter TB Brett <address@hidden> skribis:

> As my Scheme codebase gets larger, when starting my application I get
> screens full of debug spew about the Guile compilation process.  How can
> I silence the following messages:
>
> ;;; note: source file /path/to/foo.scm
> ;;;       newer than compiled /path/to/foo.scm.go
> ;;; compiling /path/to/foo.scm
> ;;; compiled /path/to/foo.scm.go
>
> ...while still getting the actually useful compilation warnings?

I would recommend changing your package’s build system so that it
compiles and installs .go file.  That way, users won’t see any such
messages.

The only exception is commands with a #!../guile shebang.  For those you
can really avoid auto-compilation warnings, but it’s often OK to use the
evaluator if the script itself is small and just an entry point for the
core of your package:

  #!/path/to/guile --no-auto-compile

HTH,
Ludo’.