Re: guile scripting for gdb

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: guile scripting for gdb
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2013 00:39:23 +0100

Hello,

Doug Evans <address@hidden> skribis:

> fyi, I've uploaded my gdb-guile branch to github.
>
> https://github.com/dje42/gdb.git
>
> It's in branch gdb-guile.

Nice piece of work from several angles (implementation strategy, test
coverage, style, docstrings, comments, etc.)

> It's still very preliminary, there's still lots to do, and there are
> some open issues.

As discussed on IRC, one possible issue is eq?-ness of SMOBs: one would
usually expects pointer equality to be preserved at the Scheme level.

Another question I had is the lifetime of Scheme objects vs. that of the
underlying C objects.  AIUI C objects cannot be forcefully kept alive
when their Scheme representative is live, which is why the bindings have
this notion of “invalid” object at the Scheme level.  Is it also the way
the Python bindings deal with the issue?

Random remarks:

  • The disasm interface looks cool.  I think it’d be more convenient if
    it used records to represent disassembled instructions.

  • It would be nice to wrap the iterator interface in SRFI-41 streams.

An interesting exercise would be to write pretty-printers for SCM values
and tools to walk Guile’s VM stack (like Guile’s gdbinit attempts to do).

Thanks,
Ludo’.