Re: [ANN] gzochi project development release 0.5

From: Julian Graham
Subject: Re: [ANN] gzochi project development release 0.5
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 14:09:59 -0500

Hi Dave,

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 1:59 PM, Thompson, David
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I am working on a 2D game development library
> (https://gitorious.org/guile-2d/guile-2d/) that is still in its early
> stages. I'm curious about how much our efforts overlap and if they
> could be used together easily. My library is concerned with graphics,
> audio, and user input and yours appears to be a client/server
> framework, so I think that with our powers combined we can make 2D
> multiplayer games with Guile. :)

Cool!

> I think it would be really useful if your website showed some example
> code snippets to make it clear as to what problems your software is
> solving and how it solves them. It's not immediately clear to me how I
> would get started using gzochi.

The gzochid manual has a kind of rationale section which describes the
problem space that gzochi addresses:
http://www.nongnu.org/gzochi/gzochid.html#Conceptual-overview. There's
also a trivial application you can look at to get a sense of what
gzochi application code looks like:
http://www.nongnu.org/gzochi/gzochid.html#An-example-application

For a deeper dive into non-trivial application development, you'll
need to download the distribution and take a look at the two example
games, Mazewar and AberMUD, which are both "remixes" of classic
network multiplier games, and which have fairly exhaustive
documentation and inline comments.

I'm going to be polishing up the web site soon, and I'll try to bring
some of that stuff closer to the surface. Let me know if you've got
additional thoughts on how to make the site or documentation more
useful / accessible.

Regards,
Julian