Re: Filename encoding

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Filename encoding
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 05:46:59 +0200

> From: Mark H Weaver <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 16:34:26 -0500
>
> Well, I understand that MS has standardized on UTF-16 (right?)

Right.

> but what matters from Guile's perspective is the encoding used by
> the POSIX-style interfaces that Guile uses, such as 'open'.  Do you
> know what encoding that is on Windows?

It's the current system codepage, a.k.a. "ANSI" encoding.  But
sticking to that means you can never support file names with
characters outside of the current locale.  So IMO this is not "good
enough" for Guile.

The POSIX-style interfaces issue can be worked around by providing
wrapper functions.  A few projects already do that: Emacs, msysgit.