Re: Filename encoding

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Filename encoding
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 18:12:16 +0200

> Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 15:07:43 +0100
> From: John Darrington <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> If you know that the filename was always obtained using the Guile's
> interface then the issue is never pertinent.    The problem comes when a
> function
> is aske to open a non-ascii named file, without any information about where
> that
> filename came from.
>

> There is no answer to this general problem.

I think storing file names in some Unicode based encoding internally
is that answer.  If you disagree, please tell why.

> This works up to a point, but eventually there comes an interface where the
> crucial
> information is missing.  For example, what happens if the filename is in a
> text file.

Then the encoding of that file is your clue.

> One has to decide on an approach which will give the lowest probability of
> surprises.

I think if Guile provides sensible defaults and convenient ways to
override those defaults for a specific operation, that should be
enough.