Re: FFI bindings for FFTW

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: FFI bindings for FFTW
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 17:10:31 +0000

On 2014-02-25 14:28, Daniel Llorens wrote:
Hello,

I've written a minimal wrapper for FFTW
(http://www.fftw.org/fftw3_doc/Guru-Interface.html#Guru-Interface).

        https://gitorious.org/guile-ffi-fftw

It provides two functions, (fftw-dft! rank sign in out) and (fftw-dft
rank sign in).

It's good to see another FFI user.  I'm using it to access function in
glib, gdbus and e17 libraries, and really like doing things this way.
Especially when targetting an embedded environment (my GTA04 phone), it's
very nice not to have to do any new cross-compiling.

This is my first time using the FFI. There are some portability issues
such as the lack of library path setting or the types (e.g. int ->
int32) being hardcoded. Any solution to these that's simpler than
autoconf?

Not sure I understand those problems.  Can you elaborate?

Any other comment or advice is welcome.

Just one suggestion; I would write the NAME in

  (define NAME (pointer->procedure RET (dynamic-func "CNAME" LIB) ...))

to be exactly the same as CNAME, and specifically with underscores instead
of hyphens, because I find that a useful reminder that I still need
xxx->pointer conversion for some of its arguments.

Regards,
      Neil