Re: libguile thread safety

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: libguile thread safety
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 11:22:13 -0400

Chris Vine <address@hidden> writes:

> Has thread-safe module loading turned out to be too difficult to do, or
> is it still something that is likely to happen in the future?

I consider this to be an important issue, and I still intend to fix it.
However, fixing it in such a way that I could confidently believe would
not cause problems for existing users (who might do unusual things with
Guile's module system) is indeed non-trivial.

On the other hand, the lack of thread-safety in module loading doesn't
seem to be causing problems for most users in practice.  I suspect this
is because most programs load their modules during initialization, and
rarely (if ever) load modules afterwards.

Therefore, I'm considering fixing this in git master, which will become
Guile 2.2, and not in the stable-2.0 branch.

What do you think?

    Mark