Re: Description of `program-sources' and accessors

From: Diogo F. S. Ramos
Subject: Re: Description of `program-sources' and accessors
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 15:09:18 -0300

>> Is there a place which describes the meaning of each of element of
>> `program-sources' accessors?
>
> Note that this is an interface that is very specific to Guile 2.0's
> VM, and it's gnarly in many ways.  However :)  What program-sources
> returns is a list of sources.  Therefore source:addr should be called on
> the elements of program-sources, not on the list as a whole.
>
> Unfortunately sources are represented in this interface as improper
> lists -- source:addr is just car.  So it works on the list as a whole;
> hence the confusion.  Perhaps now that this confusion is resolved, the
> text in the manual will make more sense.

Oh, I see.  Thank you.

So, what does "sources" mean?  For what I can see, each one correspond
to a line in a definition.  I can't also figure out what a `source:addr'
is, but I'm guessing it's for the VM.

I'm using this interface to know where an object has been defined.  By
your note, I get the impression that this might not be a good idea.  Am
I getting it right and if so, do you have a suggestion to achieve what
I'm trying to do using another method?