Re: Install Guile 2.0.11 failed on L-Ubuntu 12.04

From: mark damerell
Subject: Re: Install Guile 2.0.11 failed on L-Ubuntu 12.04
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 10:32:59 +0100

Thank you for your most helpful replies. I did:

1:   sudo ldconfig

Output:

/sbin/ldconfig.real: /usr/local/lib/libguile-2.0.so.22.7.2-gdb.scm is not an
ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

2:   pkg-config  --cflags  --libs  guile-2.0

and now things are working (I have only done some very simple things
to test). I do not have the foggiest idea  why it was so easy. In theory,
neither 1 nor 2 should have worked.

1: if  gcc  really did not know to search in   /usr/local/lib  I would
have expected all manner of previous successful compiles to fail.

File    /etc/ld.so.conf.d/libc.conf (date April 2012)  lists  /usr/local/lib  .
No file in this directory mentions Guile.

2: From the man page I expected to have to insert the output
of  2  into a Makefile. (Which Makefile? where? I dont know. )
Also I dont think I  sudo-ed  2.

I intend to use both  make check  and  make installcheck  if I have
to re-install because they test different things. I feel confident that
the problem I reported in my OP is much more likely a bug in   make
install   than in   make installcheck  .

Thank you