Re: Install Guile 2.0.11 failed on L-Ubuntu 12.04

From: Chris Vine
Subject: Re: Install Guile 2.0.11 failed on L-Ubuntu 12.04
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 11:38:00 +0100

On Tue, 27 May 2014 10:32:59 +0100
mark damerell <address@hidden> wrote:
> Thank you for your most helpful replies. I did:
>
> 1:   sudo ldconfig
>
> Output:
>
> /sbin/ldconfig.real: /usr/local/lib/libguile-2.0.so.22.7.2-gdb.scm is
> not an
> ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start.

Either forget about it, or remove libguile-2.0.so.22.7.2-gdb.scm and
don't use the guile interface for gdb.  It is a meaningless bleat from
libconfig, which assumes too much about what is in library directories.

[snip]
> 1: if  gcc  really did not know to search in   /usr/local/lib  I would
> have expected all manner of previous successful compiles to fail.
>
> File    /etc/ld.so.conf.d/libc.conf (date April 2012)  lists
> /usr/local/lib  .
> No file in this directory mentions Guile.

It looks like you just forgot to run ldconfig after installing guile.

http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/A-Sample-Guile-Main-Program.html#A-Sample-Guile-Main-Program

> I intend to use both  make check  and  make installcheck  if I have
> to re-install because they test different things. I feel confident
> that the problem I reported in my OP is much more likely a bug in
> make install   than in   make installcheck  .

I feel confident you are wrong.

Chris