Re: cannot compile: srfi-10 define-reader-ctor 'hash '#,(

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: cannot compile: srfi-10 define-reader-ctor 'hash '#,(
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 17:48:03 +0200

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> skribis:

> How do I get pretty-print to produce non-opaque hash tables using this
> #, hash read syntax than to copy all of (ice-9 pretty-print) or carry
> this diff?

The problem is that SRFI-10 itself does not specify an external
representation for hash tables, nor does Guile.  Thus this patch cannot
be applied.

Another problem is that (ice-9 pretty-print) is not extensible.  It
would be ideal if one could extend it with new pretty-printing methods.
Would you like to work on such a generic mechanism?

Ideally ‘pretty-print’ would have an extra keyword parameter that would
allow users to pass a list of predicate/printer pairs.  There could be a
‘pretty-printer-method’ procedure (rather than ‘cons’) to construct such
a pair.

Thanks,
Ludo’.