Re: Creating a new port in C for use in guile

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Creating a new port in C for use in guile
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2014 13:00:39 +0200

Joshua Datko <address@hidden> skribis:

> I want to make a new Port. I would like to write the port implementation
> in C and use that port in scheme.
>
> I'm a bit confused on how to proceed though. From reading the docs, it
> seems I have to create a C function, in the form of an extension, that
> calls scm_make_port_type.
>
> However, the manual states [1] that the return value from
> scm_make_port_type is a scm_ptob_descriptor. I'm confused on how I
> instantiate this new port type to get a scm_port.

‘scm_make_port_type’ returns a number of the ‘scm_t_bits’ type.  That
number identifies the port type internally.

Then, to instantiate a port of that type, use
‘scm_new_port_table_entry’:

  scm_t_bits port_type;
  port_type = scm_make_port_type (...);

  [...]

  SCM port;
  port = scm_new_port_table_entry (port_type);

Here’s a couple of examples:

  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guile.git/tree/libguile/r6rs-ports.c#n73

https://gitorious.org/gnutls/gnutls/source/12e50aa449a8f6bb7b2c2fa3c177812e463ea4c7:guile/src/core.c#L923

Hope this helps!