Re: A couple of questions about goops method parameters

From: Panicz Maciej Godek
Subject: Re: A couple of questions about goops method parameters
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 21:03:08 +0200

> Hi Carlos!
>
> On Tue, 2014-09-02 at 23:05 -0300, Carlos Pita wrote:
>
>> 2) What is the relationship between the lambda* family and methods?
>> Are methods restricted in the sense that they can't aspire to get the
>> greater flexibility of lambda* parameter handling? Maybe because of
>> the way dispatching is done?
>>

> IMO, when you have lambda*, you never need define-method. Actually, I
> want to say, once you have such FP features, you don't need OOP anymore.

So perhaps you could tell me how to design a GUI framework in FP and
without OOP. To me it seems that GUI is the main domain the OOP was
crafted for, but if you have some nice functional ideas, perhaps you
could help me to redesign my framework.

The base of the framework can be browsed here:

https://bitbucket.org/panicz/slayer/src/94c9dde264759cbbd8d4a88d2581b77f55cc0bd6/guile-modules/widgets/base.scm?at=default

What is particularly relevant is the <widget> class. I recently
started creating my own OOP framework atop of GOOPS, so the same class
could be equivalently written as

https://bitbucket.org/panicz/slayer/src/94c9dde264759cbbd8d4a88d2581b77f55cc0bd6/guile-modules/extra/noobs.scm?at=default
(see at the bottom)

But I don't see any good alternative to OOP.