Re: R7RS

From: Taylan Ulrich Bayirli/Kammer
Subject: Re: R7RS
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 21:02:25 +0200

Carlos Pita <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> there was a thread a couple of years ago in this list about TODOs for
> reaching R7RS (small) compliance. Just out of curiosity, what is the
> current (or planned) level of conformance? I've read some recent
> announcements about changes in the reader that further align it with
> R7RS but I'm not sure what to expect in other areas:

Hi Carlos,

There's a branch called 'r7rs' in Guile's git repository which aims for
full (or almost-full) compliance as far as I know.  I think Mark Weaver
was working on it so he might be able to give clearer information on
what will be intentionally left out.  That being said:

> * libraries

This is certainly being implemented on that branch.

> * records

R7RS-small records are equivalent to SRFI-9, so this is merely a matter
of making it a part of the "(scheme base)" library which is the standard
base library of R7RS-small.

> * exceptions

Given R6RS exceptions, R7RS-small exceptions are very trivial.  The
`with-exception-handler', `raise', and `raise-continuable' procedures,
and the `guard' syntax, are all the same as in R6RS.  The `error'
procedure is basically the same as we have in Guile's core, and
`error-object?', `error-object-message', and `error-object-irritants'
all look pretty trivial so you can bet on the r7rs branch implementing
them.

Taylan