Re: guile-2.0.11 installation on system with 2.0.5

From: Chris Vine
Subject: Re: guile-2.0.11 installation on system with 2.0.5
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 11:44:01 +0100

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 12:22:27 +0200
Federico Beffa <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 11:49 AM, Neil Jerram
[snip]
> > However, won't it also cause /usr/bin/guile (2.0.5) to load
> > /usr/local/lib/libguile* (2.0.11) ?  If not, what is the mechanism
> > that tells /usr/bin/guile (2.0.5) to load /usr/lib/libguile*
> > (2.0.5) instead of /usr/local/lib/libguile* (2.0.11) ?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >      Neil
> >

> yes, that's what I've found out by running ldconfig. Both versions now
> show version 2.0.11 in the startup message.

I would strongly advise you not to have two binary compatible versions
of any given library on your system at the same time, unless you really
know what you are doing.  Otherwise you are at the mercy of the look-up
order of the dynamic linker.  It is much better simply to upgrade your
system to guile-2.0.11 using your distribution's package manager. Since
guile maintains binary compatibility between micro versions, you should
be absolutely fine (and you can always back out if not).

However if you insist on doing what you are doing, see my separate
posting and use environmental variables to achieve what you want.

Chris