Re: guile-2.0.11 installation on system with 2.0.5

From: Federico Beffa
Subject: Re: guile-2.0.11 installation on system with 2.0.5
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 13:09:27 +0200

David Pirotte <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
>> As far as I inderstand the Debian package manager mantains a package
>> database. This is the place where it looks for installed packages. So,
>> if I have a newer version of guile which is not installed through the
>> package manager, the package manager will not know about it.
>
> even if you are locked in a debian stable, you can, and you should in the
> case of
> guile really, install packages from testing, unstable and even experimental
> [which
> is not recommended unless you know what you are doing of course].
>
> So:
>
>     update your /etc/apt/sources.list, add a line with testing source
>     update you /etc/preferences
>
>         Package: *
>         Pin: release a=stable
>         Pin-Priority: 800
>
>         Package: guile
>         Pin: release a=testing
>         Pin-Priority: 600
>
>     aptitude update
>     aptitude
>         search for the guile-2.0 package aptitude entry
>         press enter [Menu: Package -> information]
>         select and install the testing version [2.0.11+1-1 as of today]
>
> with that setting, aptitude|debian future updates will track and offer you to
> update
> the installed guile-2.0 testing package, while keeping everything else on
> stable...
> there are doc about that, duckduckgo for it...

You convinced me that I should be fine using guile from testing.

I've added the following lines in sources.list:

deb http://ftp.ch.debian.org/debian/ testing main
deb-src http://ftp.ch.debian.org/debian/ testing main

created /etc/apt/preferences.d/00-stable containing:

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 800

and created /etc/apt/preferences.d/20-guile containing:

Package: guile
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 600

Now, before installing guile from testing, I wanted to check if I still
get no updatable packages as a moment before doing the change:

aptitude update
aptitude full-upgrade

This tells me that the package libxnvctrl0 can be update. If I remove
the testing entry from sources.list, then I get no updates. So, something
is coming in from testing.

Am I doing something wrong?

Regards,
Fede