Re: Guile: passing a file descriptor

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Guile: passing a file descriptor
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 13:40:38 -0400

Marko Rauhamaa <address@hidden> writes:

> A PF_UNIX socket can be used to pass an open file descriptor between
> processes. However, the relevant control message seems to be missing in
> Guile's POSIX facilities (send only accepts a data message).

Indeed, we lack that functionality in core Guile.

> Am I mistaken, and are there any plans to add control message support to
> Guile's library?

I'm not aware of any plans to add it, but if we can agree on an API and
someone contributed a suitable implementation, I don't see why we
couldn't add it.

In the meantime, it's easy to extend Guile with your own bits of C code.

  http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/C-Extensions.html

You could also probably use our Dynamic FFI to do the job entirely from
Scheme, although we don't have any automatic way of dealing with C
preprocessor macros, so they would probably have to be hard-coded.

http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Foreign-Function-Interface.html

     Mark