System commands with error escaping

From: 白熊
Subject: System commands with error escaping
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 00:18:22 +0300

Hello everyone:

I'd like to ask for help with the following:

I'm programming a Guile automation interface for GNU software compilation and
need to issue system calls with error escaping. I have package recipes, which
then issue mostly specific configure and make system calls and need to catch
errors, that mostly happen during configure and make runs.

Currently, I use the following to issue the configure and make recipes:

(use-modules (ice-9 popen)
             (ice-9 rdelim))
(let* ((port (open-input-pipe command-string))
       (str (read-line port)))
  (close-pipe port)
  str)

where command-string is the configure syntax or whatever...

The problem with this is, when configure fails for example due to an error, I
don't catch the error and next command gets executed... But I need to catch the
error and stop Guile from proceeding, so I see what happened.

How can I best do this?

Thanks a lot for any advice.
--
白熊 @相撲道