Re: docstrings in the reference manual

From: Panicz Maciej Godek
Subject: Re: docstrings in the reference manual
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 12:41:18 +0100

> I agree though that it can be difficult to find, and it would be a bit
> better if it used the word "docstring" (like "that string is assumed to
> contain documentation for that procedure (so-called 'docstring')"), to make
> it easier to find, and that there should be a "docstring" index entry as
> well.

I agree.  This info on docstrings is tucked away pretty well.  I
noticed here in the ref man:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Reporting-Bugs.html#Reporting-Bugs

that documentation that is unclear is considered a bug (last bullet in
the first list).  If you think it makes sense then I'll submit a bug
on the documentation with this info and your suggestion.

I think it is an acceptable solution, although I also think that the Guile team would prefer a patch (to guile-devel) that could be pushed directly to the git repo (OTOH, one needs to know at least the basic syntax of texinfo to make sure that the "docstring" node appears in the concept index)

A bug report should be sufficient, though, especially if the improvemet suggestions are clear enough