Re: GSoC: Rohan to work on DHCP client

From: Rohan Prinja
Subject: Re: GSoC: Rohan to work on DHCP client
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 01:12:56 +0530

Hi everyone!

On 30 April 2015 at 00:29, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am pleased to announce that Rohan Prinja has been selected to work on
> the DHCP client project described at
> <http://www.gnu.org/software/soc-projects/ideas-2015.html#guix_dhcp> and
> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-03/msg00284.html> as
> part of Google’s Summer of Code, with me as the mentor.

For completeness, I'm attaching the final draft of my proposal - the
one you see in the mailing list was really incomplete.

> The eventual goal is to have the DHCP client tightly integrated with
> GNU dmd (used in the GuixSD distribution), but the project is certainly
> relevant to Schemers in general.
>
> So please welcome Rohan in Guix and Guile circles.  :-)
>
> To begin with, I think we’ll host the code in its own repo on Savannah,
> presumably guix/dhcp.git.
>
> Rohan, anything to add?

Nothing for now. Thank you for the introduction :)

> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

Also, how do you suggest I get started with the pre-coding period? I
was thinking of rereading the ISC dhclient code, this time more
carefully, and in parallel, adding some packages to the Guix to get a
feel for how porting packages to the archive works. Once I'm done
reading dhclient, I could start on designing the CLI. Is this fine or
do you think an alternate plan of action would be better?

Thanks,
Rohan