Re: System Scheme (was Re: GOOPS Terminal Class - RnRS POSIX support)

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: System Scheme (was Re: GOOPS Terminal Class - RnRS POSIX support)
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 22:35:16 +0200

Marko Rauhamaa <address@hidden> skribis:

>>> I'd like to produce Guile code that works on Linux. As it stands, I
>>> can't.
>>
>> Of course you can: write it in C and load it via FFI.
>
> Well, for that, I don't even need Guile; all I need is gcc.
>
> It's a bit of a lame reason to have to escape out of Scheme;

You don’t have to.  It wouldn’t be hard to write bindings for libc’s
‘sendmsg’ function, which does what you want.  (Similarly, Guix has a
bunch of wrappers for less common libc functions at
<http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/guix/build/syscalls.scm>.)

In parallel you can submit a patch to have ‘sendmsg’ bindings added to
libguile proper.  :-)

Ludo’.