Re: There is BSD in libguile

From: Michael Tiedtke
Subject: Re: There is BSD in libguile
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2015 19:48:42 +0200

On 02/07/2015 15:08, David Kastrup wrote:
Michael Tiedtke <address@hidden> writes:

I just found a BSD copyright notice in inet_aton for the 1.8
branch. But then the GNU C library as well contains BSD code. We're
all going BSD, aren't we?
Try to catch up.  Networking stack and utilities have been from BSDlite
(?) in both Linux kernel and GNU from the getgo.  That's what the BSD
licenses are about: being compatible with other licensing schemes.

It does makes for an inconsistency in command line usage.

Most net tools on GNU/Linux, if at all, support only the --help and
--version GNU-style long options.

Classics like "ping" don't even support those.

MIT-licensed programs like the normal display server "X" don't support
--help and --version either but have long options with a _single_ dash,
like -display.

Again, it's not like the X Window system is particularly new in
GNU/Linux.  The GNU project never was about reinventing the wheel when
free alternatives were already available.

GNU for me was bit of fascinating self enforcing libertarian ideology - on the Internet. But the BSD acknowledgement makes for a good pseudo commercial advertising on the VSI Launchpad: https://launchpad.net/viper-system-interface

"... inked in 30 seconds instead of 3 minutes.

What lies ahead is a lot of renaming and else ...

Found BSD in the sources. Thanks BSD:

  3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
     must display the following acknowledgement:
  This product includes software developed by the University of
  California, Berkeley and its contributors."

It just looks a little bit like the Windows copyright notice and the Mac OS X no-boot-screen first kernel message. VSI on the other hand is just that: VIper's System Interface. Perhaps I should relicense it to HP? This message could be considered a marketing effort, too. In is own terms about VSI but the acknowledgement is there. ;-)