Re: Where are the guile libraries?

From: Amirouche Boubekki
Subject: Re: Where are the guile libraries?
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2015 00:19:45 +0200

Le 2015-08-28 21:31, Ian Zimmerman a écrit :
I'm a newbie so please be gentle.

Héllo Ian!

Suppose I want to write a substantial program in guile.  Where can I
find the "batteries"?

It depends of what you mean by batteries. bsddb is not part of Python as of Python 3.

For example, I want to read and write Berkeley DB
files (or any simple persistent hash format). Do I really have to write
my own code for that?

Regarding Berkeley DB there is no bindings for it. But there is for gdbm [1] and wiredtiger [2]. Wiredtiger is similar to bsddb but faster. I've done those bindings recently I don't use it in real applications. But I will fix any bug you find and help you get it running. There is an example database build on top wiredtiger in the
repository.

[1] https://github.com/ijp/guile-gdbm
[2] https://git.framasoft.org/a-guile-mind/guile-wiredtiger

 I see that there used to be a guile-db package in
Debian, but it depended in guile 1.6 which was some time ago :-)  And
anyway it is gone from current stable and testing, and there's no
upstream link for me to follow and check if it's any good for current
guile.

And this is just one example.  JSON, YAML, RFC 822 parsing, etc.
Basically all the stuff that's in Python standard library.

There a json library somewhere on github.

 Note I'm
_not_ complaining that's guile doesn't bundle it like Python does.

It seems like you are complaining :)

I'm asking if it exists, anywhere, at all, possibly in small pieces, but
ready to be reused.

I can't help you further, without more precise request.

--
Amirouche ~ amz3 ~ http://www.hyperdev.fr