Re: [ANN] Guile-SSH 0.8.0 released

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [ANN] Guile-SSH 0.8.0 released
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2015 21:55:46 +0200

Artyom Poptsov <address@hidden> skribis:

>> I think the manual should explicitly remind people that the REPL
>> server must already be running on the remote machine.
>
> I guess it is already mentioned in the manual.  From "(guile-ssh)
> Distributed Forms":
>
>   To make use of the procedures listed in this section you will need an
>   SSH daemon and a GNU Guile REPL server both running on the remote
>   host.

Oh right.

> Or should I elaborate on this?

Maybe in the ‘with-ssh’ example (which is what lazy folks like me will
copy/paste to their REPL), you could replace “Example:” with something
like:

  For example, assuming a REPL server is running at
  @code{www.example.org}, the following code invokes @code{gethostname}
  on that machine:

>> I wonder if it would make sense to offer an alternate option where the
>> calling machine invokes ?guile? on the remote side and talks to it on
>> stdin; this could simplify some use cases.  WDYT?
>
> Sure enough, we can call 'guile' on the remote side using
> 'channel-request-exec' before using of procedures from (ssh dist).  That
> looks like a great idea, I need to think about the implementation.

Maybe that could be an option of <node> objects.

>> However, this:
>
>>   (let ((session (make-session #:user "ludo" #:host "xxx")))
>>     (connect! session)
>>     (userauth-agent! session)
>>     (with-ssh (make-node session)
>>               (use-modules (ice-9 ftw))
>>               (scandir "/")))
>
>> returns only two values, the language and the module.
>
> Thank you for reporting that bug, fixed in 76d8df2 on the master.  Also
> I fixed parsing of RREPL errors, in c7b6a79.
>
> Please check if it works for you.

I confirm that it fixes the problem.

Thanks!

Ludo’.