Re: Install can't see libunistring

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Install can't see libunistring
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2015 12:08:30 -0400

Hi Lawrence,

Lawrence Bottorff <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm trying to install guile 2.0 on a remote provider, i.e., a "home"
> install. I did install the latest libunistring in my ~/opt , but guile
> ./configure --prefix=/my/home/opt/guile always complains
>
> configure: error: GNU libunistring is required, please install it.

Since libunistring is not installed in one of the standard places, you
need to help 'configure' find it.

> The ~/opt ~/opt/lib ~/opt/share ~/opt/include is on the PATH. Any
> ideas what I'm doing wrong?

PATH is only used to find programs, not libraries or include files, so
it makes sense to add "$HOME/opt/bin" to PATH, but not the others.  Also
note that the character "~" is expanded by the shell only when found
unquoted at the beginning of a word, so it has no special meaning in
environment variables like PATH.  Such variables must contain absolute
directory names like "/home/borgauf/opt/bin".

Many libraries install *.pc files in <PREFIX>/lib/pkgconfig.  If you
have 'pkg-config', then the best approach to help 'configure' find those
libraries is to include <PREFIX>/lib/pkgconfig in PKG_CONFIG_PATH.

Unfortunately, libunistring does not install a *.pc file, so another
approach is needed there.  If you run "./configure --help", one of the
options is:

  --with-libunistring-prefix[=DIR]  search for libunistring in DIR/include and
DIR/lib

There are similar options for libiconv, libltdl, libintl, and
libreadline, as well as environment variables to indicate the location
of libffi and bdw-gc.  I would use these options only in cases where the
'pkg-config' approach fails.

Please let us know how it goes!

    Regards,
      Mark