Re: Best way to talk to MS SQL server from guile?

From: Jamil Egdemir
Subject: Re: Best way to talk to MS SQL server from guile?
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 08:17:45 -0400

address@hidden writes:

> I guess, based on the lack of responses, that there's no such thing.

Seems so.  I spent some time lurking on #guile with irc asking around.
After a while Dave Thompson jumped in and suggested I fire up the FFI
and wrap some C libraries.

> For a one-off job, I'd try to call tsql as a sub-process and parse
> its output; for a more robust and durable solution, a binary interface
> to the FreeTDS libraries might be the right thing to do.

After poking around in the FFI docs in the manual it seems like that's
the way to go.  Doesn't seem so hard.  So far I've made a few C
functions to play around with and used pointer->procedure and
dynamic-link to pull them into guile.  Seems to be working well.  Next
step is to attempt the same with FreeTDS and iODBC (or unixodbc..)

> (Alas, I have no MS SQL database I could play around with... without
> getting fired, that is :-)

omg... I'm trapped in windows world right now and longing for my
beautiful postgres.

I'll keep at it though.  Thanks for the advice in any case T.  Godd to
know I'm on the right track.  Much appreciated!

-j

Jamil Egdemir
address@hidden
http://www.power-quant.org

Help support the Free Software Movement!
http://www.gnu.org/