Re: Guile 2.0.9, reader: Cannot 'read' an '*unspecified*' value

From: Artyom Poptsov
Subject: Re: Guile 2.0.9, reader: Cannot 'read' an '*unspecified*' value
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2015 22:37:15 +0300

Hello Taylan,

thanks for your comments.  I may agree that *unspecified* value should
not be used in the Scheme code explicitly, yet 'make-vector' uses it as
the default filling for newly created vectors.  Given that it's not
possible to 'read' them, it adds to the special cases when output of
'write' is not machine readable.

It's possible to solve this dilemma by introducing a special case to a
user program as well when it cannot 'read' a vector unless the user
specified a proper filling.  Nevertheless I thought this is a problem
and the problem is worth of thinking about; and maybe there's a solution
that requires minimal changes to Guile sources.

And note that the reader callback relies on *undefined* value anyways.

- Artyom

P.S. I was going to send the patch to guile-devel ML, but by a mistake
     sent it to guile-users ML.  Sorry for that.

--
Artyom V. Poptsov <address@hidden>;  GPG Key: 0898A02F
Home page: http://poptsov-artyom.narod.ru/