Re: How do you earn money with Guile?

From: Christopher M. Hobbs
Subject: Re: How do you earn money with Guile?
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2016 12:57:32 -0500

On Fri, 03 Jun 2016 11:32:24 +0200
Arne Babenhauserheide <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > “I would take Guile seriously when someone earned money with it.”
> > — someone from IRC
>
> When I saw this on IRC, I realized that the there’s something to it:
> When a professional sees something new and is unsure whether it can be
> useful to business, it’s sensible to first check whether someone else
> already earns money with it. That doesn’t work for the first person,
> but it works for all others.
>

> So I want to ask you: Do you earn part of your income by programming
> with Guile?
>

> I’ll go first: I used Guile for a few tasks for my PhD thesis (which I
> got paid for).
>
> The first main task was to assemble commandlines for my plotting tool
> where my previous shell scripts became a maintenance nightmare. All in
> all that’s about 300 lines of Guile Scheme. I’ll be using Guile for
> this again in the following months.
>
> The second main task was to build an Ensemble Kalman Filter to get a
> deeper understanding of the method. That’s about 266 lines of Guile
> wisp and available online:
> https://bitbucket.org/ArneBab/wisp/src/v0.9.0/examples/ensemble-estimation.w
>

> I’d be glad to hear how you earn money with Guile!
>

> Best wishes,
> Arne Babenhauserheide
>
> PS: Earning money with Free Software is awesome!

In today's development ecosystem, I fear a language won't gain any
popular traction (and thereby cause profit to be gained) until you can
build a blog or some other inane web application in it... preferably in
under 5 minutes.  It doesn't matter how well the language does anything
else.

At the risk of derailing the thread, I think a better approach would be
to show things that guile can do.  This seems to help the popularity of
languages.

And to contribute:  I wrote a couple of bits of guile at work for
monitoring some system processes, which I was paid for.  I've also used
it in a side project related to mail processing that may someday
generate income but that's still a long way off.

cmh

- --
Happy Hacking!

http://libernil.net/~cmhobbs
GPG:  1200 0808 F968 47AB F489  91A3 FE26 6FFB 1A77 0868