Re: nyacc version 0.71.0 released

From: Matt Wette
Subject: Re: nyacc version 0.71.0 released
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 11:12:09 -0700

> On Jun 21, 2016, at 7:55 AM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
> Matt Wette <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> nyacc version 0.71.0 is released as beta
>>
>> nyacc is a LALR parser generator written from the ground up in guile
>>
>> Features/Updates:
>> * clean scheme-flavored syntax for grammar specification
>> * prototype parsers for C99,(partial) javascript, matlab that output parse
>> trees in a SXML format
>> * update: C99 preprocessor updated to expand defines in C code
>> * update: cleaned up file structure
>> * update: started working on test-suite
>> * update: added grammar for C++
>
> Very impressive!
>
> Side note: it would be nice if there were a tiny configure.ac and
> Makefile.am to simplify build and installation.  :-)

Thanks.  Getting C++ and Javascript fully working is going to be a lot of work:
C++ needs backtracking and Javascript needs “pruning”.  But the C99 parser is
mature enough to provide some value, I think.

Regarding using autoconf, I was hoping to minimize overhead code.  If the lone
Makefiles are not cutting it I can work to blend in autoconf.

Irrelevant side note: Years ago I developed a tool like automake, called
metamake, that provided macros, implemented in M4, to expand “makefile.mm" into
“makefile".   To this day automake just seems to me like the wrong way to do
that job.

Matt