Re: How to render raw data using sxml?

From: tomas
Subject: Re: How to render raw data using sxml?
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 08:48:42 +0200

On Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 09:58:49PM +0200, Jakub Jankiewicz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to render scheme code inside script tag to be executed by biwascheme
> in the browser so I've try to create simple page using sxml (cgi script):
>
> (display "Content-Type: text/html")
> (newline)
> (newline)
> (display "<!DOCTYPE html>")
> (newline)
> (sxml->xml `(html
>               (head
>                  (title "BiwaScheme test")
>                  (script (@ (src "biwascheme-min.js")) "(display \"hello\")"))
>               (body (p "BiwaScheme test"))))
>
> but the output was:
>
> <!DOCTYPE html>
> src="biwascheme-min.js">(display
>
> which is invalid scheme code. I've also try this:
>
> (script (@ (src "biwascheme-min.js")) "(display " #\" "hello" #\" ")")
>
> but got the same result. How can I display raw data using sxml->xml

Ahhh... the HTML <script> tag. This one sticks out like a sore thumb :-)
Note that embedded Javascript can be... interesting. How would you parse
this:

  <script type="text/javascript>
    var kidding="the end of </script>";
    # the above is just kidding
  </script>

The html parser would have to parse the embedded script to grok that the
first close tag is just fake.

Strictly one has to quote (at least the '<') whithin the <script>, better
to quote all the (five?) magic XML entities. So the generated code above
seems OK. The client (aka browser) is supposed to unescape the text before
handing it over to the script machinery. So if it doesn't, yo'd have to
look there.

That said, you could try the XHTML trick and wrap the script in a CDATA
section. See e.g. [1], under "Differences Between HTML and XHTML" for
an example.

[1] http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_script.asp

regards
- -- tomás