Re: How do you earn money with Guile?

From: Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: How do you earn money with Guile?
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 22:30:57 +0200

Christopher M. Hobbs writes:

> In today's development ecosystem, I fear a language won't gain any
> popular traction (and thereby cause profit to be gained) until you can
> build a blog or some other inane web application in it... preferably in
> under 5 minutes.  It doesn't matter how well the language does anything
> else.
>
> At the risk of derailing the thread, I think a better approach would be
> to show things that guile can do.  This seems to help the popularity of
> languages.

I agree that that is important. This thread is, however, to address a
specific aspect which I also think important and which I did not see
here at all till now: Before investing effort into anything, most people
first check whether others have successfully done so, especially when
they think about marketable skills. That’s a very useful strategy most
of the time (see xkcd bridge¹ ☺), and I did not see any answer for that
From Guile yet.

With this thread, we can now answer that question: Do people earn money
with Guile? Yes, they do. Here are some examples:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/2016-06/msg00007.html

¹: https://xkcd.com/1170/

> And to contribute:  I wrote a couple of bits of guile at work for
> monitoring some system processes, which I was paid for.

Nice!

Did you use a specific library or module for that?

(that could be useful for my current work, too — for keeping tabs on a
Solaris cluster)

> I've also used it in a side project related to mail processing that
> may someday generate income but that's still a long way off.

Good luck! I hope it works out.

Best wishes,
Arne
--