Re: JIT compilation with callbacks into Scheme

From: Amirouche Boubekki
Subject: Re: JIT compilation with callbacks into Scheme
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2016 13:39:33 +0200

On 2016-10-21 14:13, Jan Wedekind wrote:

Héllo Jan!

On 2016-10-20 22:14, Jan Wedekind wrote:
Hi,
  I managed to implement JIT compilation of method calls into the
Guile interpreter (AIscm 0.8.2 [1]):

[...]

[1] http://wedesoft.github.io/aiscm/

How does this compare with numpy?

TIA!

-- Amirouche ~ amz3 ~ http://www.hyperdev.fr

  First of all numpy supports native floating point operations and
this work does not yet do that ;)
  In terms of performance I previously posted some benchmarks
comparing with C programs [1].
Numpy is statically compiled and uses generic functions and function pointers to implement binary operations for combinations of types [2].

np.array([1,2,3],dtype=np.uint8) + np.array([1,2,3],dtype=np.int16)
    # array([2, 4, 6], dtype=int16)

When instead using a JIT (e.g. Python Theano) the resulting software
is more generic and composable in terms of operations (tensors,
composite operations) and in terms of datatypes (RGB, complex values,
arrays, hypercomplex values, ...).
  Here's a technical report [3] with more details and motivation (in
that case libJIT and Ruby was used).
Please let me know if you have some interesting applications in mind :)

It's a long shot, but I plan to port spacy and gensim and I read they
use numpy that's why I ask.

Regards
Jan

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/2016-06/msg00019.html
[2]
https://github.com/numpy/numpy/blob/master/numpy/core/src/multiarray/calculation.c#L534
[3] http://www.wedesoft.de/downloads/tensors_libjit.pdf

-- Amirouche ~ amz3 ~ http://www.hyperdev.fr

Not sure how they use NumPy. However you might be interested in the
publication "Natural Language Processing (almost) from Scratch" which
uses machine learning [4].

[4] https://arxiv.org/abs/1103.0398

Thanks for that article it seems a compeling approach to do basic NLP tasks.
Sadly my ML-fu is too low to process the content of this article.

Anyway, thanks for the explanations.

--
Amirouche ~ amz3 ~ http://www.hyperdev.fr