Dumb Licensing Questions

From: Wes Frazier
Subject: Dumb Licensing Questions
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2016 21:41:01 -0500

I have been poking around with guile and trying to learn scheme. However
I have a licensing question and please forgive me if this has been
answered elsewhere, ive tried searching quite a bit, and checked the GPL
Faq and couldn't find it.

I've noticed that several language bindings listed under libraries on
the website such as guile-sdl and guile-ncurses are licensed under the
GPL. And ive looked quite closely at guile-sdl and can't seem to find a
linking exception.

Ive mostly stuck to compiled languages until now. However, I know that
if I were writing compiled code, using a GPLed library with no linking
exception, my resulting code would have to be GPLed as well. This is why
many libraries are under the LGPL instead (including libsdl proper.)

Is this the case for interpreted languages? including scheme code
interpreted via guile? Is code using guile-sdl thus forced to be under
the GPL?

If not why are so many other guile libraries released LGPL?

And if so why was guile-sdl licensed GPL when it's upstream library was
LGPL? Was this intentional?

- Wes