Re: on bootstrapping: first Mes 0.3 released

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: on bootstrapping: first Mes 0.3 released
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 17:40:59 +0100

Hi!

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> skribis:

> * Changes in 0.3 since 0.2
>  ** Core
>  *** Number-based rather than pointer-based cells.
>  *** Garbage collector aka Jam scraper.
>  A variant on SICP's stop and copy Garbage Collector (Jam Scraper?)
>  algorithm has been implemented.
>  *** The reader has been moved to Scheme.
>  ** Language
>  *** Simple loadable modules.
>  *** Srfi-9 and match use handwritten syntax-rules (mes-use-module (mes
> syntax)).
>  *** Optional syntax-case using psyntax (mes-use-module (mes psyntax)).
>  ** Noteworthy bug fixes
>  *** Srfi-0 has been fixed.

Impressive!

Is it a goal to try interpret a language as close as possible to that of
Guile, and have the same libraries?  I guess that could help in the
future: we could use (system base lalr), nyacc, etc.

Also, currently there’s approximately 2K lines of C.  How do you plan to
make sure that it doesn’t grow over time, or even that it shrinks?  :-)

This all sounds very promising, thanks a lot!

Ludo’.