r7rs libraries (or, Fwd: fmt for Guile)

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: r7rs libraries (or, Fwd: fmt for Guile)
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 22:42:45 -0600

Not sure if this belongs on guile-user or guile-devel, but...

See below for a conversation Alex Shinn gave me permission to forward.

I asked Alex about getting Guile added to the set of
out-of-the-box-supported Scheme implementations for fmt; they replied
that they moved from fmt to a cleaned-up version called Show, but this
and all their libraries were going to R7RS only.  (We already have
irregex packaged for Guile in Guix; I imagine this means would affect
that library going forward as well.)

I'm not really sure what this means for us, since I think we don't
really have full R7RS support.  I wonder what this means for us moving
into the future, as more libraries move to support R7RS(-small, maybe
-large)?  Will we include a conversion layer, or maybe another language
layer on the VM?  Will we move to more support of R7RS-small out of the
box?  Will we not make this a priority altogether?  Will it depend on
people stepping forward, or is there a strong maintainer position either
way?