Re: guile can't find a chinese named file

From: Linas Vepstas
Subject: Re: guile can't find a chinese named file
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 15:59:42 -0600

It's a bug. There have been bugs on and off with guile utf8 handling.
One of the guile-2.0 versions does almost everything right, but utf8
is semi-broken, again in 2.2 -- some things work, but various things
that used to work great are now broken (again).   I'm guessing that
guile has a weak/non-existent unit-test suite for utf8.

Open bug reports. I could even (maybe) volunteer to fix some of them,
cause I know where they are, and why they are, but would need
encouragement/help from one of the core guile devs to create
acceptable patches.

(I'm doing Chinese text processing in guile, right now, so each of
these bugs is painful to hit, and requires yet another work-around in
my code.)

--linas