Re: guile can't find a chinese named file

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: guile can't find a chinese named file
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 21:41:23 +0200

> From: Marko Rauhamaa <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 21:01:31 +0200
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> UTF-8 beautifully bridges the interpretation gap between 8-bit character
> strings and text. However, the interpretation step should be done in the
> application and not in the programming language.

You can't do that in an environment that specifically targets
sophisticated multi-lingual text processing independent of the outside
locale.  Unless you can interpret byte sequences as characters, you
will be unable to even count characters in a range of text, let alone
render it for display.  And you cannot request applications to do
those low-level chores.

> Support libraries for Unicode are naturally welcome.

Well, in that case Emacs core is one huge "support library".  And I
don't see why Guile couldn't be another one; it should, IMO.

> Plain Unicode text is actually quite a rare programming need. It is
> woefully inadequate for the human interface, which generally requires
> numerous other typesetting effects.

You do need "other typesetting effects", naturally, but that doesn't
mean you can get away without more or less full support of Unicode
nowadays.  You are talking about programming, but we should instead
think about applications -- those of them which need to process text,
or even access files, as this discussion shows, do need decent Unicode
support.  E.g., users generally expect that decomposed and composed
character sequences behave and are treated identically, although they
are different byte-stream wise.

> But is also causing unnecessary grief in the computer-computer
> interface, where the classic textual naming and textual protocols
> are actually cutely chosen octet-aligned binary formats.

The universal acceptance of UTF-8 nowadays makes this much less of an
issue, IME.