Re: How to make GNU Guile more successful

From: Amirouche
Subject: Re: How to make GNU Guile more successful
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 01:21:17 +0100

Le 13/02/2017 à 00:56, Amirouche a écrit :

WDYT?
What block you from contributing to the wide ecosystem of GNU Guile?

I heared a lot around me about the projects I was doing before in my
previous life in as Pythonista. That I had NIH syndrom. Yeah, I rebuild
stuff that already exists hence according to the "haters" that was not
useful.

=> THIS IS A FALSE. Fully FUD! Two ways you can learn a programming
a) coding b) reading code. Basically in Guile, if there is no code to read
you only have the other option.

=> Remember they were dozen wikis before wikipedia with similar intents,
dozen search engines before Google with similar intents; You never reinvent
the wheel. You update it little by little, it might not be revolution.
Look at paintings for instance, it's seems some painters do not know proper
painting but they are still successful in their niche. Why? Because they tried.
My advice is to aim big or small whatever, but don't be shy to share.

I personnaly don't believe that code pollution exists. My theory is that
this concept was invented by techno oligarcs to limit the creativity of
those that can make. Basicly techno overlords supply the tools and you provide
the finished product that they are interested in. This is not in the interest
of creativity or liberty. Code what you want to code and think you need to code.
Don't be shy. Javascript fatigue is another name for code pollution.

Another thing i heard a lot is: It's impossible.

=> I was said that about Python->Javascript translator dozen of times. About
   my project to create a new web framework too. Basically Django is too
   mainstream. I don't want to be bigger than Django I want to have the
   *correct* solution. In many situations, for me, django was not up to the
   mark.

Another thing I hear a lot: nothing. Yeah. Nothing.

=> It take a lot of courage to do free and open source software. First,
   you might find it difficult to find people that have the same interest
   as you. Second they probably perfer to fork and do it from scratch by
   themself. Maybe they are shy and do it secretly aka. they don't want to
   disturb the matrix.

   You will also maybe meet people that hate open source or worst that hate
   GNU. Leave if possible.

That said I don't say HACK ALL DAY until something BAD happens. I say love
the code and the community share what you did.